Friday, September 24, 2010

I can handle the Truth!

We were warned before coming to India that dealing with the locals could be at times difficult.  In particular, Indians have a 'talent' for telling people what they want to hear or they'll tell you what they THINK you want to hear.  What they don't realize is what I (and probably all Westerners) want to hear is the TRUTH!!!

This evening, the girls and I went to a Lindt Chocolate event at the Hyderabad Westin.  They were handing out small boxes of cookies to everyone there.  I instructed both girls, who are allergic to various nuts, to check with me before eating anything.  Inside this little goodie box were small shell shaped madeline cookies with chocolate chips, and seemed innocuous enough.  I asked the girl handing out the boxes if there were any nuts in the cookies.  She didn't know and said she would find out.  She quickly returned saying, "No, no nuts".  Ok, Cory go ahead and have one of the cookies.  Within a few minutes, she looked distressed: "My lips feel funny, I think I'm going to throw up." Hack hack, small splat....Yup, there are definitely cashews or pistachios in those.  Cory and I spent 20 minutes in the ladies room while her little body tried to rid itself of the offending nuts.  Sammy was a good girl and told my good friend what had happened while I ran off with Cory to the loo.  Thankfully Cory's reactions are so quick and noticeable, that she doesn't ingest enough to cause any breathing problems: just swollen lips, and vomiting.  I've never had to use her Epi-pen and I am grateful for that.

Once we returned to the event, I gave the 3rd degree to the staff including the girl who initially reported to me "No, no nuts."  Up the ladder I interrogated, until an assistant manager returned from speaking with the pastry chef who confirmed, "there are walnuts and cashews in the cookies".  Cory figured that out quite a while ago.  They gave apologies, I gave a lecture, they gave more apologies, I spoke with the manager.  All I want is the Truth, and I want someone to discover the Truth if they don't already know it.

No comments: