Now that we no longer have a cook & I'm back in the kitchen, I bought a cookbook entitled "Complete Indian Cooking". So far this cookbook has been fantastic. Without even looking at recipes, this book met my formatting criteria. There are photos of every recipe, logical ingredient lists, and even step by step directions with photos! It has the exact same format of my favorite French cookbook (no it's not Mastering the Art...but I do own a dogeared copy) "La Cuisine Francaise" which I purchased at La Librarie Gourmande in Paris. Being in India means that some of our 'normal' ingredients are not available, so when in Hyderabad...do as the Hyderbadis do-eat (and cook) Indian food!
I've been thumbing and skipping around my cookbook and while making dinner this evening, I discovered 2 IDENTICAL recipes (with the teeny tiny difference that one calls for 1 Tbsp vegetable oil and the other calls for 2 tsp vegetable oil. That's not really a difference, since no one measures the oil going into the pan anyway. Isn't that cheating??? Shouldn't the cover say "324 deliciously authentic receipes for the adventurous cook"??
Recipe #1 (page 318) is located in the Vegetarian Main Dishes chapter and is called "Spinach and Potato Curry". This one calls for the Tbsp of oil.
Recipe #2 (page 407) is located in the "Rice and Vegetable Side Dishes and Light Snacks" chapter and is called "Golden Chunky Potatoes with Spinach and Mustard Seeds". Maybe the 2 tsp of oil makes it a "light" recipe!
I will admit that the photos are different, and the directions are worded differently, but they are definitely the same recipe.
Once I finish making the Spinach and Potato Curry for dinner tonight, I'll let you know how both recipes turn out.
Wednesday, November 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment