Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Ending of an Era, the Turning of a Page

I've been flooded with emotions over the past few weeks.  First there was frustration at the process of extending our visas, which due to our (putting it very nicely) less than competent agent, was not as smooth nor as quick as it should have been.  Then there was the thought "maybe this is a sign, our visas are expiring soon...maybe it's time for us to just go."  We asked the girls what they thought about going home in a matter of weeks: "Yeah! Yeah!" was their enthusiastic response.  I on the other hand, was tearing up at the thought.  I've had a wonderful time here.  I have friends who are like family, whom I love unconditionally and will do anything for and not hesitate to ask anything of.  That kind of love is hard to leave.

With the exception of one, all of my goodbyes have been made.  In an hour I will be on my way to the airport heading for home.  Home.  I feel as though I have 2 homes.  Once, after making the 30 hour door to door journey from Virginia to India,  I remember thinking "I just left home, spent 30 hours traveling 9000 miles, walked in the door, sat down and was home again."  Incredible.

So Thank you, India.  You really are incredible.  Your madness, your joys, your modernity, your antiquity, your Porsche Cayennes driving past bulls & carts.  I reached out to you with both hands and you bear-hugged me in return.  You are in my brain and you are in my blood.  My memories of you will stay with me and shape my thoughts forever.  We will meet again someday.

Bye for now.


No comments: