You pull apart the green exterior to reveal a soft white interior made of small pods of flesh covering black smooth seeds. The taste is not easy to describe. When the first pod hit my tastebuds I immediately thought of summer. In particular, summers when I was about 8-10 years old and mom, brothers and I spent our days at a local swim club out in the rolling farmland of Central NY. One taste of the custard apple and I was 9 years old again. It was like a gorgeous summer day in your mouth with tastes/smells of: wildflowers, sunshine, clean air, and honey. Not quite what I expected from a lumpy, bumpy green fruit.
I mentioned the custard apple to some expat friends who were passing around a sweet lime, which, for the record tastes like a not so sour grapefruit. A Brit quickly replied "Oh yes, they're like apples in custard!" Not being a custard connoisseur, I really didn't know how to respond. Just the sound of the word custard really couldn't do these little guys justice.
So if you're even in the exotic fruit section of your grocery store and see custard apples (they are in season now), give one a try.

2 comments:
Very cool. My grandfather in Florida used to grow these. They are called sugar-apples here. I'm not the biggest fan myself, but they are an interesting and unique fruit.
I haven't had one of those in years- I used to love them! mmm... they are so tasty!
Post a Comment