Life in India has lots of ups and downs. One thing we can always count on it that no one has change. No matter what kind of store you are in, grocery, book, clothing, etc, no one ever has small bills, no piles of coins. Constantly we are asked "Do you have 10/5/2/1 Rupees? Much digging and fumbling follows. Most of the time, yes, I do indeed have some coins or a 10 rupee note.
The other day in the grocery store, I discovered what would happen when a customer truly did not have change.
I was behind a twenty something man who was buying only a small bag of fresh ginger. (Imagine that-needing a special trip to the grocery store for ginger; not milk, bread, meat, etc, but ginger.) The cashier weighed the ginger and told him "21 Rupees". He handed her three 10 rupee notes. She, of course, asked "Do you have 1 Rupee?" so she wouldn't have to give him 9Rs in coins. No. So...(ready?) she opened the bag of ginger, broke off a piece, reweighed it, and said "19 Rupees." She took his 20Rs and gave him 1 Rs in change.
And now I know...
Friday, September 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Reminds me of when I was in Argentina. They have a similar problem. I was constantly hoarding change when I went out and my hotel even made a point of saying that they went out and "bought" small bills and coins so people didn't have to worry about change.
I wonder what would have happened if you were short for an article of clothing.
Post a Comment