Thursday, January 15, 2009

Use up, not stock up

I guess reality is starting to set in. We have applied for our Indian visas, and we are planning a 'look and see' trip in a few weeks. I guess we're actually going to go to India. The reality is taking up residence in my brain and making me plan ahead, which is a good thing. I was shopping at Sam's Club a while ago and had to restrain myself from stocking up on things. The little voice in my head said "No Meigan, we don't need: 4 more jars of peanut butter, 6 more jars of pasta sauce, 4 huge boxes of edamame.... You've got some at home right now...Use that up first!!!" I think I actually spoke outloud "Yeah, you're right".

So now the mentality is: "Use it up!" Exploring the depths of my cupboards & freezer is becoming a workout for my imagination. Canned pumpkin became cream of pumpkin soup. Cranberries?...hmm I might just have to eat those right out of the can. The real problem is what to do with those things I bought that only I will eat. I have 3 cans of canneloni beans and no ideas. So much for stocking up on things. If only everything you bought came with a recipe. Maybe we'll have to host a 'going away pot-luck' where I supply all of the food.

No comments: